The Fourth of July is the quintessential summer celebration! If you’re anything like us, it involves food, friends, and fireworks – not a bank-breaking backyard BBQ. Please the crowd and your wallet with these three great Independence Day recipes that use five ingredients or less. Money left over for sparklers! Whoohoo!
Classic Chicken Kabobs
1 lb. Chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 Red or Green Bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 Red Onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup Chicken Marinade
- Marinate the chicken breasts in chosen marinade for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator. Soak the skewers in warm water for at least 30 minutes, or place in the water when you begin marinating the chicken.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate. Make the skewers by alternating chicken, bell peppers and onions on the skewers. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Cook the skewers on the preheated grill, turning occasionally until the chicken is cooked thoroughly, about 20 minutes total.
½ cup of simple syrup
3 tablespoons of lime juice
2 cups of grape juice
4 cups of seltzer water
1 pint of raspberry sorbet
- In a small bowl combine the simple syrup and lime juice.
- In a large pitcher, combine 1/2 cup of lime syrup with the grape juice and seltzer water. Chill until serving.
- To serve pour into glasses and top with a scoop of raspberry sorbet.
Red, White and Blue Flag Cake
4 cups of fresh (or frozen) strawberries
2-2 1/5 cups of fresh (or frozen) blueberries
8 ounces of whipped topping
1 whole angle food or sponge cake
- Slice cake into 1 inch thick pieces and layer at the bottom of a rectangular baking dish, then top with whipped topping.
- Layer berries on top of the whipped topping and repeat layering process with cake, whipped topping and berries. Depending on the depth of your baking dish, you may be able to make 2 to 3 layers.
- Arrange berries in an American flag pattern on the top layer of cake. Place blueberries in the corner, as the stars and line strawberries as the stripes. Chill until serving.